MiniNova packs the sort of specs you'd expect to find in an instrument twice the size, and sounds like one double the price. Whether you're a music production novice taking your first steps in synthesis, the keyboard player in a band looking for a sturdy, road-worthy instrument, or an experienced sound designer after a pro-quality portable addition to your existing arsenal, Novation's backpack-sized beast more than delivers.
This larger-than-life USB bus-powered, 18-voice polyphonic micro synth features three oscillators and one noise generator per voice; 14 filter types; 12-band vocoder with VocalTune; 6 envelope generators; 3 LFOs; 20 modulation assignment slots; 5 simultaneous effects; with Mac/PC Editor Plug-in and Patch Librarian.
Big Sound, small synth
Built on the UltraNova sound engine, MiniNova has more polyphony, more filter types, more effects and more modulation than any other synth in its class. And being USB bus-powered, you can easily hook it into your computer-based setup without a mess of cables getting in the way.
Every one of MiniNova's sounds is mix-ready straight out of the box, but each can be subtly tweaked or warped beyond recognition via the 24 synth parameters immediately accessible from the front panel.
Each of the three oscillators (per voice) draws on14 analogue waveforms, 20 digital waveforms and 36 wavetables, and features density/detune (for fattening), virtual sync (for punchy attacks) and 'hardness' (an additional low-pass filter). Two filters are available per patch, offering a choice of 14 low-/high-/band-pass types at roll-off slopes from 6-24dB/octave; and up to five effects can be applied simultaneously, including distortion, reverb, chorus/phase, delay, compressor, EQ and Novation's unique Gator effect.
From dirty-fat basses and soaring leads to lush pads, spiky arps and vintage analogue-style tones, MiniNova brings all the character, power and versatility you'd expect from a full-size synth in a tough, compact 37 mini-key instrument.
Find Your Sound Fast
MiniNova comes with 256 killer sounds onboard, space to save another 128 of your own, and an easy-to-use Patch Librarian for storing and loading any number of patches to and from your computer.
Sounds can be searched by style and type, making short work of finding that perfect hip-hop bass or electro lead.
New, free soundpacks for MiniNova are regularly released by Novation, created in collaboration with renowned artists and sound designers including Daniel Fisher, Chuckie and Dino Soldo.
Create Unique Vocals
Not content with blazing a trail as the world's most formidable micro synth, MiniNova has a microphone and vocoder built in, too – and no ordinary vocoder at that. In VocalTune mode, it automatically tunes your voice to the notes played on the keyboard.
The lyrical fireworks don't end there, as you can also run the mic signal through the effects engine. Add reverb, distortion, chorus/phaser, Gator, compression or EQ to produce truly attention-grabbing vox, or recreate iconic vocal lines.
Naturally, MiniNova's sound-sculpting toolbox isn't limited to microphone input: any external instrument can be hooked up and turned into something else altogether using the vocoder – including VocalTune mode – filters and effects.
Animate and Arpeggiate
With MiniNova in Animate mode, pressing one or more of its eight purple backlit buttons kicks in a range of sound variations, bringing even more colour options to each patch and providing a wealth of instant transformations for live performers to raise the roof with. Each button adjusts multiple parameters in real-time under the hood – just the thing for injecting pads with life and movement, and serving up crazy EDM-style bass and lead lines on demand.
Switch to Arpeggiator mode and the same eight buttons are used for pattern programming, enabling you to build a rhythmic dimension directly into your MiniNova patches.
Editing Software Included
The MiniNova is fully and deeply editable directly from the hardware, of course, but for even faster, easier editing and session recall, there's MiniNova Editor: a beautifully designed plug-in for Mac and PC that gives a clear and intuitive visual overview of the synth within your DAW.
- Additional Information
- 144 character LCD
- 8x detented touch sensitive encoders
- 1x large smooth encoder (with back-lit filter lock buttons)
- 1x large patch select/speed dial encoder
- 2x volume & monitor mix dials
- 39 LED lit/indicated buttons
- Pitch wheel (LED lit)
- Modulation wheel (LED lit)
- 37 note keyboard with velocity and aftertouch
- XLR dynamic mic input
- 2x ¼” jack inputs
- 2x ¼” jack outputs
- 2x ¼” jack aux outputs
- 1x ¼” jack headphone output
- SPDIF digital output on RCA connector
- Expression pedal on ¼” jack input
- Sustain pedal on ¼” jack input
- MIDI in/out/thru
- 12 volt power input
- USB port (UltraNova can be powered via USB)
- Kensington security slot
USB Audio Interface
- 2 in, 4 out soundcard
- 44.1 / 48kHz at 16 or 24 bit to host
- 44.1 / 48kHz at 16 bit from host (if you select 24 bit from host, audio
- data is limited by the driver to 16 bit playback)
- Dynamic range : - 98dB
- Input 1 + 2 frequency response : 20Hz to 20kHz +/- 1dB
- Gain rage : -10 to + 65dB
- THD+N = 0.002%
- Maximum output level +6dBu
- signal to noise ratio referenced to 0dBFS (+6 dBu) = 96dB
- Noise EIN = 117dB
- Input 1 - balanced XLR & balanced TRS 1/4"jack
- Input 2 - balanced TRS 1/4" jack only
- Up to 18 note polyphony (dynamic voicing)
- 3x oscillators
- 1x noise generator
- 2x ring modulators
- Square, sine, tri, sawtooth, pulse, 9x saw:pulse combinations
- 20x digital waveforms
- 36x wavetables
- 2x filters per patch
- low pass no resonance 6dB per octave
- low pass 12dB
- low pass 18dB
- low pass 24dB
- band pass 6:6
- band pass 6:12
- band pass 12:6
- band pass 6:18
- band pass 18:6
- band pass 12:12
- high pass no resonance 6dB per octave
- high pass 12dB
- high pass 18dB
- high pass 24dB
- 20 modulation slots per patch
- 6x envelope generators
- 3x LFOs
- Key scaling/track
- Mod wheel
- Expression pedal
Total of 66 Destinations including
- Oscillator pitch, pulse width, wavetable index, level and sync
- Filter cutoff, resonance, envelope settings
- Effects parameters and send levels
- Recursive modulation (modulating modulation sources themselves)
5 effects slots per patch
- Distortion – up to 2 instances
- Compressor – up to 2 instances
- Chorus/Phase – up to 4 instances
- Delay – up to 2 instances
- Reverb – up to 2 instances
- 12 band vocoder
- Arpeggiator – 33 patterns
- Chord function – lock up to 10 notes
- Patch storage - up to 512 on hardware (ships with 300 factory patches)
- USB bus powered
- 12V DC power supply included
- Maximum power consumption 12V DC 400mA
- Unboxed: 635mm (25") length x 290mm (11.41") depth x 70mm (2.76") height
- Boxed: 725mm (28.54”) length x 374mm (14.72”) depth x 152mm (5.98”) height